For business owners and HR professionals in Singapore, offering employee benefits is essential for attracting and retaining top talent. Marriage leave is one such benefit that can demonstrate your commitment to your employees' well-being and build a positive workplace culture.
In this guide, we'll walk you through everything you need to know about marriage leave in Singapore, so that you can consider it as part of your leave policy that supports your employees’ personal lives!
What is marriage leave?
Marriage leave in Singapore is a type of leave that is granted to employees when they get married. It is also sometimes referred to as "paid marriage leave" or "wedding leave."
Is marriage leave compulsory in Singapore?
Under the Employment Act, there is no legal requirement for employers to provide marriage leave to their employees, and it depends on the company leave policy. In the event that marriage leave is not provided by the company, the employee can apply for annual leave or unpaid leave for such purposes.
While marriage leave is not mandatory, offering it is a good way to show that you value and support your employees, especially during their important life events. Paid time off for weddings can help employees balance work and personal lives, fostering loyalty and job satisfaction.
What key elements should be included in my company's leave policy to provide marriage leave to employees?
If you would like to offer marriage leave to your employees, you should consider including the following information in your company's leave policy:
- Duration of marriage leave: Specify the number of days of marriage leave that will be provided to employees.
- Eligibility criteria: Clarify who is eligible for marriage leave.
- Approval process: Outline the process for requesting and approving marriage leave. Specify how far in advance employees should request the leave, and who they should notify. Also, explain how managers will approve the leave and the time frame for this process.
- Exceptions and special circumstances: Clarify any exceptions or special circumstances that may affect an employee's eligibility for marriage leave or the duration of their leave.
By including this information in your company's leave policy, you can ensure that employees understand the terms and conditions of marriage leave and that the policy is fair and consistent for all employees.
How many days of marriage leave are employees entitled to?
As marriage leave is not a statutory requirement, it is up to the company to determine their own leave policies.
Here is the market practice for marriage leave in Singapore:
- Eligibility criteria:
- For all level of employees
- Usually provided after employee has serviced at least 1 year of employment
- For first marriage only
- No of leave days: Up to 3 days of paid marriage leave to employees who are getting married
Simplify employee leave tracking with Payboy’s leave management system!
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) often find leave management to be a pain point, and we can understand why:
- SMEs don’t have as much HR resources as larger businesses. As a result, they often have to rely on manual leave processes, which can be both time-consuming and error-prone.
- SMEs often have a more limited pool of employees to choose from when someone goes on leave. This can lead to disruptions in workflow and decreased productivity.
If leave isn't managed properly, it can have a negative impact on productivity and morale. Therefore, good HR software is an essential tool for any business that wants to stay on top of its leave entitlements and ensure its employees are getting the rest they deserve. Here are some benefits of using our leave management module:
Manage leaves digitally
Our leave management module is designed to streamline the leave management process, making it easy for employees to apply for leave and check leave balances, as well as for employers to approve and manage leave requests.
Employees can also easily submit supporting documents or certificates via the mobile app, so that all the documents are stored in a central database. No more missing documents!
Sync seamlessly with Shift Scheduling and Payroll Processing modules
Shift scheduling and payroll calculation can be time-consuming and stressful while managing different leave types and requests. With Payboy HR software, when leaves are approved, the employee’s availability will be automatically updated in the Shift Scheduling module, and any encashed or unpaid leave will be calculated in the Payroll Processing module.
Customise the leave policy that best fits your business needs
We'll provide you with a MOM-compliant setup to start with, but we are also ready to assist you in customising your leave policy to fit your business requirements. Check out how to customise settings for each leave type with Payboy, including marriage leave.
Our Payboy Support Centre also helps to address most of the FAQs regarding other statutory leave entitlements asked by our customers:
Streamline your HR processes with Payboy today!
As a PSG-approved HRMS, Payboy provides a robust system to help you manage your HR tasks so that you can focus on your business and people!
With our wide range of modules, you can customise a solution to meet the specific needs of your business:
Payroll Processing | Leave Management | Claims Management | Applicant Tracking
Time Attendance | Shift Scheduling | Appraisal System | Inventory ManagementProject Costing | Training Management | Benefits